Today the 14-foot wide elevated walkway traces the outside perimeter of the historic River Station Roundhouse site. Built in the 1880’s the roundhouse surrounded a 75-foot diameter turntable, used to place locomotives into one of the many roundhouse repair stalls. The roundhouse was one of the most prominent buildings of the maintenance facility that dominated the station until moved across the Los Angeles River in 1903. The shops also included a coaling dock, woodhouse, blacksmith shop, machine shop, paint shop and transfer table, all for maintaining the Southern Pacific’s fleet of engines and rolling stock. In the 1890’s the River Station employed some 300 workers, making it the City’s largest employer.